View Single Post
Old 10-11-2012, 07:56 AM   #41
Montague
UDF Adventurer

Oddometer: 658
Live and learn and that is the important point, that you come away alive.

Sure there are going to be lots of snipers with "helpful" criticisms but I admire your honesty and will publicly admit to some pretty dumb moves myself over the years, usually announced by the statement "hold my beer and watch this".

I don't offroad too much on the big road bikes but I take my Rokon and Argo down some nasty trails out on the harsh Canadian Shield forests around my hunt camp so I can identify with your experience. No cell service where I go and it may be days before another person shows up on those trails.

Glad your okay and that you shared.

PS. Get a SPOT Messenger, it will give you and your GF a great deal of comfort when you (as you should) take another, but better prepared stab at these roads. You will hear that they are crap...from people who I suspect did not read the manual. I have owned one for several years and although never used in an emergency, can state from experience it does work (tracking, I am okay messages, etc).

I also own a satellite phone, one of the Globalstar models. They sell a cheap plan because the have spotty service due to incomplete satellite constellation but it does work if you wait for the birds to arrive and there is an upside to 2 way communication.

Either way, sat com of one sort or another is great.

A Brit named Billy once said something silly; he so wrongly concluded that Ural deluded.

Montague screwed with this post 10-11-2012 at 08:12 AM
Montague is offline   Reply With Quote