View Single Post
Old 10-11-2012, 10:23 AM   #22
Gitana
A work in progress

Oddometer: 6,720
It's my turn to go under the knife on the 31st. I biffed and fell on my left arm/elbow pretty hard. Even though I was wearing a pressure suit, I thought I had broken my arm. After spending way too many hours in the emergency room, the x-rays showed I hadn't broken it. I knew something wasn't right, but I had to pack and move over the course of the next few weeks. And as time went on, it got worse and worse.

Did my research and went to see Dr. Joanne Halbrecht in Boulder. An arthrogram and an MRI later, I have a diagnosis of a torn supraspinatus tendon and will also need a subacromial decompression to let the bursa heal. I'm getting a nerve block, a nerve catheter with infusion pump for 3 days after surgery, a mondo-huge ice pack that I'll be wearing when I come to and will have percocet for 5 or six days after. Surgery is on Wednesday; I plan to be back at work on Tuesday. I have a desk job, and if I'm still on Percocet, I can walk to work if I have to. My boyfriend is going to take me to surgery, bring me home and will stay with me for several days.

What I am least looking forward to is the PT following surgery. In June of 2011, I had another getoff that resulted in a right dislocated shoulder, a partially torn labrum, a partially torn rotator cuff and a fractured humerus. I didn't need surgery, surprisingly enough. But the rehab had me in tears at times. It took a year, but I have full range of motion. I was riding again (street) about six or seven months after the injury. Unfortunately, I know what to expect with regard to PT, and I'm dreading it.

I love riding with a passion. But these two shoulder injuries have given me pause. And a few ideas for designing a better pressure suit. The suspension on my bike is being softened. I'm going to be doing some intensive lessons with a friend who is a champion trials rider come Spring. And I'm hoping I can get my head back in the game, 'cause right now the thought of another shoulder injury makes me cringe.

So, if anyone has any words of advice or thoughts over and above what's already been posted, please share. Thanks!
2008 WR250R | 2008 DL650
Gitana is offline   Reply With Quote