Thread: DR350 Thread
View Single Post
Old 10-11-2012, 12:46 PM   #13348
RuggedExposure
wandering the desert

Oddometer: 1,207
Quote:
Originally Posted by slartidbartfast View Post
That's a neat and versatile solution but I'm stumped as to why you'd want to carry your handgun like that. Surely it's just asking to get dirt in it or to attract the wrong sort of attention (whatever that may be.) Are you planning to put another cover or tank bag over the top or have some other way of carrying it more discreetly?

I use a pair of cheap ATV tank panniers to which I eventually added a tie-down strap so they wouldn't flip back into my lap whenever I go over 50 mph (not in the pic below). They have a water bottle holder on the outside and are well enough constructed to keep out dust and mud under normal circumstances, although I wouldn't trust them to keep anything critical dry in a rainstorm or river crossing. They are certainly suitable for carrying a handgun but not in an immediately accessible way

Starting next year I'll be riding this bike as a commuter to work (~50 miles) and 30 miles of that will be ranch roads. Since I'll be riding in a green uniform with a duty belt, I'll aready be standing out. It wont be too noticeable having another pistol on the bike.

Why do I need two you ask? its nearly impossible to use your left hand to get a pistol on your right side. If the situation presents itself and I need to access a pistol quickly, I'll have one on the tank within quick reach. Plus there are tons of coyotes out here and they make great target practice.

I'm not concerned about the pistol getting dirty. We ride ATV's constantly through mud, dirt, dust and rain and never seem to have an issue.

On the other hand, we do have broken pistols occasionally from ATV wrecks. Here is a pic I took of such an instance:

Border Road 100 Border Road Rally Raid
'13 Husky Terra 650, '08 Kawasaki Meanstreak 1600, '95 DR350S

RuggedExposure screwed with this post 10-11-2012 at 02:33 PM Reason: bad link
RuggedExposure is offline   Reply With Quote