View Single Post
Old 10-11-2012, 05:12 PM   #56
Vagabond_Explorer
Relax_Unwind_Chill

Oddometer: 130
Quote:
despite the GSA being a fat, bloated pig, that stranded me in the woods, I do love it. It's a weird, awkward kind of love. I love it's archaic engine,
Ok, I get it. Unconditional love. I have an old vintage that's broken down so often, I've lost count & embarrassed me in front of friends/family, smokes like a chimney, so hard to start, etc etc but I persist in fixing it, getting it trailered home when it breaks down on a ride, spending money buying parts from overseas, etc and it all doesn't make sense. But I have an inexplicable 'bond' to it like you have a 'bond' to your GSA and riding dirt with it.

Quote:
The GSA is a road bike dolled up to resemble an enduro. Really, how many enduros have telelever front suspension, weigh 600 lbs loaded and come with Tourances? The answer: none.
You nailed it. Have a look at this URL with a photo of 5 people in Kane Creek UT, struggling to move a F800GS. Crazy!
http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...77766&page=109
And that's the smaller 800 not the GSA. Like trying to drive a 60 seat passenger bus up a mountain track, IMHO.

Quote:
The fact is, it also can handle more dirt tracks than people give it credit for. No, it is not a MX bike, but it can handle gravel, rocks and sand within the limits of the rider.
You're right of course - it is just that most riders I have seen aren't good enough to handle a GSA (or indeed any 600 + lbs bike) on what would be very easy dirt riding for a smaller machine.

Quote:
What do you think the repair estimate is from the dealer?
My buddy low sided his K1200LT and destroyed the fairing, saddle bags, etc. The bike was mechanically A1 - but the insurance wrote off the bike. I guess $5,000?

Great post Snarky, thanks.
Vagabond_Explorer is offline   Reply With Quote