View Single Post
Old 10-11-2012, 09:30 PM   #7
Tripletreat
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 484
Super Hawks are just Super!

I had a black 1964 Super Hawk. It was my first motorcycle and a very sweet introduction to my lifetime passion. I wish I had a Super Hawk in the garage today. First, I love their look. To my mind it is as classic as a 60s Triumph twin. I'd never turn it into a cafe or bobber. I've never laid eyes on one that looked better than what the factory turned out. Secondly, they were capable of humiliating a lot of riders on old British bikes, and not just 500s! Back in the day, there was a 350 kit available, and most owners found that after market valve springs were soon needed, as the factory ones were not the best quality and led to valve float well before the engine's redline was reached. I had a pair of Bates megaphones on my Super Hawk and they were both pretty and loud. That was my first citation, as I recall.
I'm sorry to say I have just a single grainy photo of that bike, taken so far away that much detail is impossible to make out
I've always thought that Honda's succeeding model, the 350, was a giant step backward. It lacked the quality and timeless beauty of the 305 Super Hawks.