View Single Post
Old 10-12-2012, 09:59 PM   #61
bk brkr baker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,190

My first V-twin.
1975 Ducati 860 GT. I bought it for $900 in the winter of 1979. I bought it from a guy who I met at the Suzuki/ Kawasaki dealer in Lexington sometime in 1976 or 7.When I met him he was turning wrenchs at the dealership and after a couple of years he had opened a BMW dealership in Lexington. I think he got the 860 in as trade while he had the dealership.
When I found there was a Ducati for sale at price I could meet , I had to change my mindset. I dug the Ducati twin but hated the square styling cues dumped on the 860 by an Italinan car designer.
I got over it. When I first went to see the Duc the clutch lever perch was broken. I stated I had the money and was ready to buy pending a test ride. Just wanted to hear it, run it threw the gears and turn around a couple of times.
He got the perch goobered back together and even though I had walking pneumonia in December I took it up the street and pretty much jerked the 900 in cash out to hand to him.

23,000 miles and 33 years later I still feel I got my moneys worth, and I still have the bike.
bk brkr baker is offline   Reply With Quote