View Single Post
Old 10-13-2012, 07:07 AM   #14643
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,142
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury264 View Post
Anybody tried a Mefo Explorer front with a Battlewing rear ? My front is about done after 9K and I have a Mefo front that I want to put on but I only just changed the rear about 1K ago - will the different tread patterns be an issue
First off, YMMV.

From trackday experience, on the street, you'd never want to run a stickier tire on the rear than what you have on the front. It's a lot easier to over-ride the rear and still catch it. The front, not so much. An easier way to think about it is the stickier rear will push the front, on asphalt. On the dirt, I'd think it'd be OK, as a lot of dirttrack schools teach students using a street rear and a knobby or dirttrack tire on the front.

I know that some tires have different carcass construction that don't lend too well to other construction types. The profile and belt layouts are designed to run as a matched set. I don't know, with those tires.

You can always try it and see. If it doesn't work out, order whichever tire you want to end up on and swap it out. I once ran a set of tires, for ~200 miles, and hated them. I pulled them and sold 'em.
ducnut is offline   Reply With Quote