View Single Post
Old 10-13-2012, 03:15 PM   #13
skibootdog
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jun 2006
Location: ocean city maryland
Oddometer: 259
use or lose it

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyD View Post
You guys are proof indeed that an old dog can learn new tricks...

I have for years used liberal amounts of dielectric grease on all my off-road bike electrical connectors, but I never realized that it should NOT be used on the contacts themselves.

With that said, I usually ride the dirt bikes during the winter months in wet, muddy conditions and the resulting corrosion associated with having nothing on the contacts has historically been much worse than having dielectric grease liberally applied. I can't remember any connector on which I used dielectric grease failing, but I have had failures with connectors on which nothing was used.

I'm going to get me some of that NO-OX-ID or DC-4 stuff.
take a tralier hitch wire harness driven on salted roads, it will turn green and fail. covered with dielectric inside and out on pins it will last forever.
skibootdog is offline   Reply With Quote