View Single Post
Old 10-14-2012, 04:26 AM   #29
Merlin III
Mean SOB

Oddometer: 899
Quote:
Originally Posted by Advntr View Post
Cliff note version: Some bears are not afraid of humans.

I have had an up close personal experience with an aggressive black bear in the dark of the night up in the mountains somewhere. When we illuminated the bear it was scary to see it unafraid and coming towards us rather than running away - so we made it go away.

A neighbor had recently taken care of one as it tried to enter the house thru a locked screen door. That bear is now a rug.

The most interesting part of this experience is the armchair experts who all tell me that black bears don't get aggressive and it never happened. Those same experts tell me there are no bears in my backyard here in the western NY flat-lands yet I have bear scat and sightings. Just like trying to "report" the aggressive bear "incident" to the "experts"-they would rather accuse you of lying rather than look at the facts of the situation with an open mind and be glad no one got mauled.
Spot on! I agree, game officials have conflicting motivations in cases like this. There are wolves in Northern Maine. The State and Fed deny this. About ten years ago, a hunter and guide shot a coyote. After viewing it up close, they had their doubts. They took it to the State lab and had it tested. It was a wolf. The Fed fined them 10,000 dollars and to this day still denies that there are wolves in Maine. The same applies to Mountain Lions.
"I have approximate answers and possible beliefs and different degrees of certainty about different things, but I am not absolutely sure about anything." Richard Feynman, CalTech Scientist, Challenger Disaster Committee member.
Merlin III is offline   Reply With Quote