View Single Post
Old 10-14-2012, 12:15 PM   #81
Wy'east
Dust in the wind...

Oddometer: 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pariahtize View Post
If you're in a western forest, and you use flares. . . you'll likely be starting a fire. Besides, who's going to see you out in the sticks, and come to your assistance? Someone may see that glow in the trees/brush and think it a UFO and start poking around out of curiosity?
I'd hate to see a forest fire started by an "Adventure Rider" because he deployed a flare after getting himself into an overnight position.

Sleeping int he woods is actually nice if you are (even slightly) prepared. Running from a forest fire is never nice (I can only imagine the horror level increases greatly if it's a fire you had started).
Man I knew somebody was going to say this, but I thought I'd get lucky. Apparently not. These are signalling devices for people that are actively looking for you. I'll agree with you that if nobody is looking, nobody will see anything.

If a tree falls in the forest and nobody is around to hear it, does it still make a noise? Anyway...

After 30+ plus years of camping all over the place in and out of National Parks and forests and cooking on open flames in said places, I've never managed to start a forest fire let alone have anything get out of hand and I don't think I'm the only one.

Now about poking around in the bush for a UFO...