View Single Post
Old 10-14-2012, 02:43 PM   #2
neduro OP
Addict

Oddometer: 11,806
Now, a few of the things that I am adding to this bike.

1) Dirt Tricks Drivetrain:

The sprocket on top in this pic has over 20,000 miles of dirt on it. The one on the bottom is brand new. There is appreciable wear at the tip of the tooth, but the spacing of the teeth hasn't changed one bit, meaning that chain life is way better (as it's not getting stretched across incorrect tooth gaps) as well as sprocket life.

I also got their new countershaft dome washer, which solves an issue I've had for years, where it's impossible to correctly torque the countershaft bolt without deforming the washer. Installed, time will tell, but I'm optimistic!

If you ride a lot, this stuff pays for itself, and there aren't a lot of things you can say that about!

2) Motion Pro Litelocks:

Not a big deal, but these are so light I no longer bother to balance my wheel. Which makes me happy.

The liteloc is the blue one on the left- the body of it weighs practically nothing so the total weight is just the shaft of the bolt.

3) MEFO Mousses:

I'm over having air in my tires. By going to a mousse, I no longer have to carry tube/ pump/ tire levers/ axle tools. In addition, mousses open up new lines, where I can just smack a rock at the start of a section and skip the rest. And, they protect the rim- air will just squish out of the way to either side, where the mousse is captive at the point of impact and prevents flat spots in the rims.

All the hubalu about how hard they are to change is BS, IMO. I think they are easier than a tube, with proper technique, because you don't have to worry about pinching a tube. The offroadchampions tire changer is the truth, but you can do it with only tire irons quite simply as well.

The MEFO product is substantially better than Michelin, IMO. I have run them both side by side, and the MEFO significantly outlasts the Michelin, and the profile is more suitable for non-Michelin tires. Both require proper attention (grease on install in particular).

4) STR fork bleeders.

I've tried them all, and these are the best. They don't leak (like many of the cheaper brands), they don't come apart when you wash the bike (KTM hardparts), they don't let water in as the top is an overhung button, and they serve their function perfectly.

5) AP Racing PRF Brake Fluid:

Does. Not. Boil. Kicks the crap out of Motul or any of the other high-end products I've tried. If you use the brakes hard, and have trouble with boiling, this stuff will fix it.

6) Another trick, that's free, is opening up the turning radius. On the older bikes, you could just take the steering stop bolts out, it would hit the radiator and, depending on what tank, the plastic of the tank but they would just deflect.

On the new bike, you can remove the R/S one entirely as pictured below, but the LS one has to stay with the nut underneath to avoid hitting the ECU. I may see if I can use something else and get myself a little more freedom...

And that's about it. I'm not running real handguards for the moment, because I like the feeling of being able to wrap my hand out at the end of the bar. I'm not messing with the suspension or the mapping or anything else... I'm just going to ride the s&(t out of it for a while.

Dual Sport Riding Techniques DVDs: Clear instructional DVDs to improve off-road skills.
neduro is offline   Reply With Quote