View Single Post
Old 10-15-2012, 04:50 AM   #115
Grreatdog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,081
Quote:
Originally Posted by onaXR View Post
I don't know WTF that was, but I do know what it wasn't: available from your friendly neighborhood Honda dealer.

Looks like maybe a CR500 derived Dakar bike. What I was talking about regarding two strokes is Honda's corporate philosophy against them. They don't even make two stroke outboards, PWC or power equipment. If direct injected or other high tech two strokes become all the rage in offroad motorcycles, and I hope they do, Honda will be the last company to offer one.

Honda has become so simultaneously conservative and weird these days how could anybody even guess about a new dual sport? They could go with another conservative world market commuter bike dressed up as a dual sport or some weird DCT scooter hybrid dressed up as an adventure bike. But, since the operative word here is "should" produce, I stand by a new 650.

We already know the Japanese aren't going to compete with Euros and offer a plated dirt bike. But I would think a major update on the XR650L could be done and still keep the price down. We know decent suspension already exists. Then add a modern SS/aluminum exhaust and battery to drop a bunch of weight. Then new plastic, light and instruments to drop a little more weight and bring it into this century.

Hell, maybe even go with EFI and water cooling to uncork the beast and still meet emissions. A water cooled 650 motor already exists and they are already offering EFI bikes. Since the basic engine and frame tooling has been paid for since Reagan was president, you would think working around those parameters could be done under Honda's new cheap, basic commuter bike corporate philosophy.

I would certainly consider a red 650 if it made 50 hp, had real suspension and was at or under 300 pounds.

Grreatdog screwed with this post 10-15-2012 at 05:17 AM
Grreatdog is offline   Reply With Quote