View Single Post
Old 10-15-2012, 06:11 AM   #220
troy safari carpente
Team f5ool

Oddometer: 18,429
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlos M View Post

Tomorrow is going to be interesting.

DSS will be close to today's ASS, then they go south along (maybe inside) the Rerhis Oued, then the sandy Remlia track to Taouz. From Taouz they will converge to today's exit of the erg and ride in the opposite sense to the sand dunes. At the Erg Chebbi itself they will cross it South to North and exiting the Erg the track looks the same they did today, in the opposite sense. So, part of the track is common to today's...
I been looking at my maps of the area... and your assesment I agree with... except the last bit.

read this (from N.P.O. site).

Stage 2 TUESDAY 16th OCTOBER 2012 : THE UNSEEN ERG CHEBBI
LIAISON : 27 KMS – SELECTIVE SECTOR : 315 KMS – LIAISON : 17 KMS

A beautiful day of driving and navigation… Wonderfull landscapes, up to the Ckeck Point 2. Navigators are the main actors in this stage. Totally new way for crossing the ERG!

It makes me wonder if the organiser has laid CAP waypoints through the center of the ERG...? In which case it won't be a matter of skipping across the low dunes between the crowns - like they did today on SS1, but tackling some of the bigger of the dune fields (there are a dozen or so quite large ones in the Erg Chebbi), perhaps even scaling some of these impressive saddles as part of the stage (CP at the top of a dune passage)...? (a' la' Tuareg and Merzouga Rallies...??? )

In which case tactics and riding skill/big dune technique will be very important.