View Single Post
Old 10-15-2012, 08:27 AM   #16
PFFOG OP
Richard Alps-aholic

Oddometer: 1,925
Friday 9/7

Today would be a round trip, as we stay on the shores of Lac D’Annecy again tonight. We came in from the North and West, crossing the Swiss/France Boarder 5 times, would be heading to the S when we leave. So the wife and I decided to head out to the NE on small roads, along the Swiss/Italy/French borders.

We started out on the small Col de Bluffy, which is a popular bicycling road, but not quite Tour de France caliber, the next climb was the Col de la Colombiere, which has been part of the Tour 20 times since 1960.

The climb from the West is interesting and scenic, but like most of the Rockies, not really challenging for a corner fanatic. We stopped for a few pics at the top and headed down the East side, a much more entertaining road.

Another vid, some find boring, some interesting, so your choice. Switch to HD if you have the speed, they look much better.

A ride down E side of Col de la Colombeire.

Heading up Plan de Saleve:

Still had hazy morning skies as we headed up Col de la Colombiere

View NE from top of Colombiere:

We were headed toward what looked like a great bunch or roads near the Swiss border, the Col de Joux (Plane and Verte) and the Col’s de la Ramez, Savoliere, and l’encrenaz. You can imagine my disappointment when we rolled to the base of de Joux I started to see some professional rally cars. Fearing my playground for the day was closed for a race, I headed up anyway, sure enough no ride to the top today.

Not knowing where the start was, I headed west, hoping to at least pick up part of the loop, but no dice. It was all closed off.
So we meandered back, and decided to ride some small roads that again looked interesting, and found some great pavement with little traffic.

Afternoon haze back at the top of Plan de Saleve

Later skies cleared a little, as we headed over Col du Collet and Col des Glieres, one of many small dirt roads we would ride on this trip. The more I ride the more I seem to gravitate to the small dirt roads.

We got back late afternoon and enjoyed a couple of beverages under the shade trees overlooking the lake.

Richard
PFFOG is online now   Reply With Quote