View Single Post
Old 10-15-2012, 09:55 AM   #50
gatling
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,265
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryH View Post
Aren't California Scooter Company bikes really small motorcycles, similar to the old Mustang, with true manual transmissions, clutches, and chain drives? They look really cool, but may be to small for my weight. I am still considering the SYM Wolf, which is a 150cc motorcycle with plenty of load carrying capacity. Like the CSC bikes, it looks like it might be difficult to carry much stuff on it. I can get a new Wolf 150 for $3000 OTD.
They are small motorcycles (we called them Scooters because we refer to all motorcycles as "scooters"). You are right - they have clutches, chains, manual transmissions, and they are styled like the old Mustangs. A 1953 Mustang was the basic model for the CSC.

The SYM is a nice motorcycle, too (I love its style). Susan Carpenter of the LA Times did a comparo of the CSC, the SYM, and a Cleveland Cycle Works small motorcycle. You can Google it and find the article; you might want to read it to get her impressions of how the bikes compared.

I am a consultant to CSC, so I have a relationship with the company and I am partial to the CSC bikes. You might watch the CSC blog; occasionally a CSC will go on sale for about $3K. Most of the time they start at $3695. If you can get a SYM OTD for $3K that is a good deal.

Regarding riding on the freeway, I do it all the time. I just stick to the right hand lane, where traffic seems to hold a steady 50 - 55 mph, and my 150 is pretty comfortable and content at those speeds.
'10 California Scooter (my Baja Blaster!)
gatling is offline   Reply With Quote