View Single Post
Old 10-15-2012, 01:35 PM   #207
Grreatdog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,534
If I crash on my right leg the wrong way it is going to break where they drilled holes in my fibula to run the ligaments. I didn't get plates or screws but it was non load bearing for six months plus another three or four in a walking boot because of the bone work. Then a second scope surgery to clean up soft tissue damage he couldn't get the first time. So that was another three months in a boot waiting on tendons to heal.

So the idea crashing on that ankle is a bit scary. The amount of damage I could do with a smple get off is pretty impressive. What I do is never ride without MX boots plus strap on knee/shin armor. To be honest, I won't even start my kick only 200 unless I am wearing that stuff. My friends have accepted that I am going to armored up from knees down no matter how casual the ride.

So far I have only had one really bad crash since the surgery. I endoed and the bike landed on my left ankle and slid down the trail. It did zero damage to my ankle. My shoulder and butt weren't so lucky. But if I had landed on my bad ankle the boots would have saved me because I literally felt nothing through the boots. Good MX boots are expensive. And I am due for a new pair.

But I figure they are the only thing between me and a broken leg plus fused ankle.

Grreatdog screwed with this post 10-15-2012 at 01:44 PM
Grreatdog is offline   Reply With Quote