View Single Post
Old 10-15-2012, 05:41 PM   #1654
jdrocks OP
Gravel Runner

Oddometer: 3,645
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnyTwoWheeler View Post
OK I am hooked. Going to start collecting parts for my own build. I took invintory of my parts pile and found I have a front end from a 92 YZ125 with I believe a 17mm axle and a slightly beat up DL650 front rim, also 17mm axle. My concern is the YZ forks won't be up to the task on the heavery Versus, even if built up.

Anyone have any thoughts? Find a better front end or try to build up the old YZ forks ?

Like most cost is a concern but I am OK with spending some if its for a good cause.
if you have a usable DL650 wheel, you've found gold in your parts bin. the DL650 wheel uses a 17mm x 40mm x 12mm bearing, so it's best mated to forks that use a 17mm axle. check your YZ forks, many from that era used a 15mm axle. if going to the trouble to fit long travel USD forks to your bike, i would be looking at forks with minimum 46mm inners, and more likely, 48mm.

plenty of reading in a good selection of build threads on the forum, so by the time you get through those, you'll have a good handle on the issues
jdrocks is offline   Reply With Quote