Thread: All things CAD!
View Single Post
Old 10-15-2012, 06:37 PM   #103
garandman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,820
Quote:
Originally Posted by 396 View Post
I'm an old fucker stuck in my ways running 14, designing automation machinery. For the most part, prints to the shop are my bottom line, and 14 gets it done quickly. My employer is footing the bill to get me Solidworks training. I've done the tutorials, and find it awkward and cumbersome. Any tips for making the 2d/3d transition less painless?
Have you been to training yet? Most intro courses are 4 days and you'll be on your way. We usually suggest modeling some of your 2D parts and project first as you know all the numbers and can focus on the process.

I highly recommend you also take the Advanced Assembly class. It's usually two days and will make you a great deal more productive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PunkinHead View Post
/For designing parts I like to think in terms of the steps to actually manufacture it. Start with a big block or rod and start carving like you'd do on a mill or lathe. I don't like adding - I like taking away material just like the machinist will. For assemblies I mate features to constrain parts in the same way and same order as I picture myself assembling them.
Sounds like an effective approach. The design history is intended to preserve design intent so manufacturing will make it the way you designed it.

“The problem in defense is how far you can go without destroying from within what you are trying to defend from without.” ― Dwight D. Eisenhower
garandman is online now   Reply With Quote