View Single Post
Old 10-16-2012, 03:02 AM   #14
Pecha72
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,331
Quote:
Originally Posted by etingelefunts View Post

"Carnet bond" is a term foreign to my ears. Will set about learning what this means, and THANK YOU for that insight!!
Needing the carnet or not depends on your route plans. Egypt, Australia and India are examples of countries, that demand it for temp import. In some countries, you are allowed to use it, but itīs not mandatory. Note the difference.

You get it from your local Automobile Association, typically before you leave (should be able to arrange it while underway, too, but can be costly) and you are usually required to leave a bond to the AA. In case you violate the agreement on the carnet (means you have used the carnet for temporary import to a country, but donīt re-export the vehicle within the speficied time) then that countries customs will contact the AA and ask for import taxes and duties be paid from that bond. But if you return home with the bike, and have all appropriate import/export stamps on your carnet, then the bond should be released back to you. I had 5000 euros bond in my local AA (the bike was a DL650 - the bond amount may also depend on the countries you plan to visit). Note, that I arranged this bond as a ībank guaranteeī, so itīs like taking a loan from the bank, and placing it in an account, that the AA is, and you are not, authorised to use.

Generally I would not worry about the carnet too much. Or at least I would not let it dictate my plans, like some people seem to do. It is something you typically arrange before you leave, so once youīre underway, you donīt really have to worry about it (except keep it safe & use it correctly, of course!).. so yes, it is some sort of PITA, but no more than other usual paperwork involved in this kind of trip.

Pecha72 screwed with this post 10-16-2012 at 03:12 AM
Pecha72 is offline   Reply With Quote