View Single Post
Old 10-16-2012, 08:12 AM   #9
Fire Escape
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,467
Quote:
Originally Posted by abhibeckert View Post
USB is only 5 volts. Other people who know more about this stuff than me have said low voltage power does not need to be weatherproof.

Something about water having a high resistance so that only high voltage power will jump across it... Anyway, as far as I know USB power should work perfectly fine fully submerged without any waterproofing.

But you might run into problems with vibration and rust depending on how well it is made.

Very true, PURE water doesn't conduct electricity. If you get rained on, somewhere that rain doesn't have a ph of 5 due to pollutants, you will be fine.

For those of us near salt water it is another story entirely. One of the 'gold' pins on my Garmin 60CSx departed recently but I did get 6 years use from it, much of that on or near the ocean. USB connections (to my knowledge) don't have more than chrome for protection, I am betting they last more like 6 months.

Bruce
06 DR 650, Moose RS Holder, Handguards and Skidplate, ProTaper bars, Garmin 60CSx, Motech racks w/ 20mm Ammo cans, Renazco, TKCs summer/17" SM wheels winter 08 Scrambler, Conti Trail Attacks and BlackTiger Fork mod, 05 FSE 450, 03 KLR 250, 02 FXDX, 72 WR 250 (again), 72 SL 350 K2 (again), 72 TR6R, 06 XT 225
Fire Escape is offline   Reply With Quote