View Single Post
Old 10-17-2012, 02:40 AM   #10
RedRockSA
F650 GS

Oddometer: 2
Have you considered ...

.....the battery and are you adopting a "hands-off" the throttle start?
I don't want to upset the apple-cart (and all the flushing & filter replacement) I have a 2003 F650 GS as well and had a similar problem a few months back -
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My solution/cure was:
  1. charge/replace battery
  2. before start give throttle 3 full turns
  3. do not twist throttle when starting
  4. keep starter depressed until motor catches or dies
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The reasoning ....

BATTERY
I checked the battery and it was slightly low, so left it on charge overnight - next morning was smooth as silk..... ...the following morning was back to burlap sacking. Once again a charge on the ever-so-slightly below par battery did the trick.....but not for long.
Suspecting a 'surface charge' on the battery I tested whilst 'under load' of starting & got confirmation when the voltage dropped faster than a feather in a vacuum chamber. One new battery later and no problem!
THROTTLE
My habit obtained years ago with my Honda 500R (which required a more physical relationship) didn't help.
I am so used to giving the throttle a good wank together with a full body drop down on the kick-starter, that when the 650 was doing its 'cough'-'cough' start I just could not stop myself from trying to catch it with the throttle .... an absolute No-NO as it upsets all the readings and cannot set properly, resulting in a probable cut-off soon after, even with a new battery.
Also before attempting the first start with a new ( or re-charged) battery, give the throttle 3 full twists first (key off), remove hand and then attempt a proper key start.
Finally & very important...... continue depressing starter until motor either starts or cuts out entirely do not release the starter, if motor is turning over but not catching - wait for it to die or catch!
This starting process is a requirement of the 650 - necessary for correct readings and settings to take place & NO damage will occur.
RedRockSA is offline   Reply With Quote