View Single Post
Old 10-17-2012, 08:43 AM   #13
ezrdr55 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 329
Quote:
Originally Posted by eakins View Post

I bought the map/DVD combo and watched the DVD just to get a taste of what I was in for. I also loaded up the free tracks which saved my a$$ because without a GPS and those tracks I would have gotten really lost and probably run out of gas even though I have a 300 mile range. One of the gas stops was closed when I got there so I was on fumes (still had 1/2 gallon in my agri-tubes) when I got to the next gas stop. I used the map to mark my progress as I went. Because I was solo I decided not to do any of the alternate "expert" tracks. Since I was going North to South and the route is laid out on the map South to North, I was a little surprised that over 5 days and 800+ miles I only met three other riders and they were just doing a day ride. They were locals going North on KTM's (990's and a 950SE) and warned me that just up a head that I was in for a really tough section on my Wee-Strom. They even recommended that I not try it because even on their KTMs it was tough go. It was a tough section that cut through an extremely rocky area, but I made it even on my "inferior" machine. Still there were a few sandy areas that tested my ability to maintain forward progress and where I wished that I was on my 450EXC rather than the Wee-Pig. I started the trip on a new set of K60s and airing down did help a little, but I was really wishing for TKC80s at least on the front. In a couple of sections were the sand was finer than baby powder I sunk in up to the rear axle and had to dig my way out. And at times, I may have had to go a little slower and exert a little extra effort, but overall the Wee did it's job. More pics to follow.