Thread: The Mobius Trip
View Single Post
Old 10-17-2012, 08:05 AM   #5640
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Oddometer: 5,528
Of course,

after a mile, that ran into a LOCKED gated, so we headed back, and tried to follow the line on the GPS across the flats.

Totally bushwhacking again...

about a mile and a half later, we ran into another two-track, followed that north, where we quietly passed some ranch buildings and a residence, through an open gate and onto the Smith River - Camp Baker access road.

Glancing back on the open gate, I saw a sign that said "Private Property"

I just want to be clear -- at no time was our intention to trespass, and at no time did we cross anything posted, and according to our maps and GPS, we were always on public roads on public land.

I understand that in this part of the country it is incumbent on us to know the status of the land we're on -- private or public, but realistically, that's tough to do prior to departing, and even harder from the field.
"I came into this game for the action, the excitement; go anywhere, travel light... get in, get out... wherever there's trouble, a man alone... Now they got the whole country sectioned off; you can't make a move without a form." --Robert De Niro as Archibald 'Harry' Tuttle in Brazil, 1985. The Mobius Trip index | Spot tracking live 4/18-5/4/13 | AdventureLoft™ Tent Space
DR. Rock is offline   Reply With Quote