View Single Post
Old 10-18-2012, 03:11 AM   #873
ka5ysy
Doug

Oddometer: 815
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cameleer View Post
Thanks for the reply Doug, now please forgive the ignorance but what exactly is the BMW Repair Connector?
My bike is a 2001 RT and the cable is the Garmin-supplied motorcycle kit with the multiple cable with two bare connectors.

Regards to all C

The "Repar Connector" is the plug with bare wires that matches the socket on the bike. Check with your dealer and see if there is one for your 2001. I am not sure what that part number would be, and if you even have one like the later bikes.

I think your bike is pre-canbus so you should also be able to simply locate a switched 12vdc source and tie into that. GPS's do not use much current, and their wiring harnesses as supplied have an inline fuse, so should be no problem. My personal preference in doing this is to solder the connections and cover with head-shrink tubing for insulation, but I am kinda anal about electrical wiring in motorcycles, boats and aircraft.

Plan B for you would be to simply add a switching fuse block and power the GPS through the block. An example is like this (my setup):

2011 BMW R1200RT
MSF/RidersEdge #127350, NAUI #36288

ka5ysy screwed with this post 10-18-2012 at 03:20 AM
ka5ysy is offline   Reply With Quote