View Single Post
Old 10-18-2012, 06:46 AM   #4
Pecha72
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,754
Quote:
Originally Posted by frian03 View Post
Simply getting the bikes to Indonesia or Asia has proven to be the biggest headache. Singapore is a tyohoon of red tape, and just too hard. The level of ambiguity is incredible via Jakarta, and we just cant seem to get a straight answer out of anyone Best bet so far seems to be airfreight Perth to KL via Air Asia Freight. They only accept orders through a partner company, however at least seem willing to help. The bikes need to be classified as dangerous goods, which makes it both tricky and expensive.
I'd advice to get in contact with a shipping agent. It should not be too complicated to send bikes to Asia (I mean any more complicated than shipping them somewhere else!) Google " tradelanes melbourne" to get you started. I used them to ship by sea from Sydney to Helsinki 4,5 years ago, can recommend them. But get quotes from others as well.

By air to Bangkok or Kuala Lumpur, or by sea to Port Klang (near KL), those are the airports/seaports, where I'd ship to in that region. Heard lotsa bad stories about shipping to Indonesia, I'd probably avoid that..

BUT I would NOT skip Indonesia altogether, as it's in one word fantastic (ship Darwin to Dili, then ride all the way through to Sumatra.. you will need the carnet for Indo, though). For me, it's among the most interesting countries in the whole region.

Singapore, I don't think it's really a nightmare like shipping to Indonesia might be, its just a little extra paperwork, and they make you get mandatory insurance etc, and theres probably a minimum period, so it feels stupid to pay, if you'll only ride outta there once, like 50 kms in Singapore.

(Used bikes will be sent as Dangerous Goods, that's standard procedure. For airfreight, you need an agent, who is certified to issue this document for you).

Pecha72 screwed with this post 10-18-2012 at 06:55 AM
Pecha72 is online now   Reply With Quote