View Single Post
Old 10-18-2012, 10:56 AM   #277
Pantah
Red Sox Nation

Oddometer: 9,732
Northwest of Page at Hwy 89!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Countdown View Post
Thanks for update. I was there also last week working new options between 89 & 89A west of Page. I will take your tracks and mine and update big file on GPSXchange.

What is the code for your tracks "P" is proposed 9no date tag)? Others with tags are obviouisly actual?
Hello Countdown - A few weeks ago I rode a dirt road from Big Water just northwest of Page. It ran 100 miles or so east and north through what I think is the Escalante wilderness, ending at Escalante. It's called Smokey Mountain Road. The second water crossing stopped me so I took a bypass called Smokey Hollow Rd. It was basically a sand wash that ran maybe 20 miles. You can see the bypass marked by a sign I photographed below.

Is this road a possibility for the GWT? The beauty of it is that there is a ranger station at Big Water to learn of the conditions, so an easy bypass on pavement. The road was pretty beat up from weather for me from flooding and such, but I made it OK as a solo on my 250R. Probably not twin friendly unless one had a riding partner to help pick up.

Fortunately, the sand was damp enough to navigate easily and the mud was firm. The rock gardens left by the flood was a little challenging for the likes of me, but no drama. Just careful. Only one spill......not happy at the time, though.

I was too early at the ranger station so I chanced it and I am told now the road was closed! That is a good sign. I think it would be big bike friendly when the road is fixed again.

Here's a thing I googled up for it. Scroll down to Smokey Mtn
http://www.utahcanyons.com/roads/escalanteroads.htm

Pantah screwed with this post 10-18-2012 at 03:12 PM
Pantah is offline   Reply With Quote