View Single Post
Old 10-18-2012, 01:50 PM   #15
klaviator OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,345
IDRider and JoeyBones, thanks for following along.

Now for the "rest of the story:

After the Rock Tunnel I followed 133 to the town of Damascus. I got some gas and checked out the town. It's a small town so it didn't take long. Route 58 runs through Damascus and it's a great ride, but I didn't feel like riding it today in the wet conditions. I started to leave town on 133 and was going around the slight curve in the last pic when I suddenly found myself tumbling to the road with the Aprilia sliding down the road in front of me

I'm not sure what happened other than I must have hit something really slippery. A real ADVer would have taken a pic of the downed bike but I just picked it up to see if it was damaged. The front brake lever was bent.

And there was some cosmetic damage.

There was nothing to keep me from continuing my trip. I was dressed for the ride and was not hurt in any way.

I tried to figure out what caused the slide but couldn't find anything. There was no visible oil. Maybe some anti-freeze?

So I headed back to Shady Valley on 133. 133 is a nice road with mostly medium to high speed sweepers. Unlike the other routes out of Shady Valley, it doesn't go over a mountain.

So I stopped in Shady valley and took some pics.

No one else was out riding today. I had not seen a single bike since leaving Maggie Valley. If this was Deal's Gap there would have been at least a few bikes here despite the weather.

Based on the following sign and waht others have told me, I believe that the Snake refers not to just one stretch of road, but three different sections of road: 421 north of Shady Valley, 421 to the south, and 91 southeast.

Sort of like the tree of shame except there were no actual broken parts in view.

this was parked out front. Tim the Toolman Taylor would have loved this.

klaviator is offline   Reply With Quote