Thread: How to turn?
View Single Post
Old 10-19-2012, 07:51 AM   #51
Sting32
Trials Evangelist

Oddometer: 1,251
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelraider View Post
Probably going to step on toes, but when I attended trials schools in '70s given by Mick Andrews (World Champion Trials and Scottish 6 Days Champion 5 times) the emphasis was on Throttle Control. It can get you out of trouble faster than anything else. When in a tight turn using your "technics" and start to fall to the inside gently squeeze a little trottle on and float the front tire through the turn, it will straighten you back up, conversly should you fall outside, ease off the throttle and you'll fall back inside. I am a firm believer after 35 yrs that the throttle will have the last say in your success or failure. It MUST be used in conjunction with your "technic"'

My 2 cents!!

Larry
Larry,

We "kind of" don't ride like we used to though, and it is hard to explain or even argue about how the things he said is true but also not right in the "basics" and when you are trying to develope them, so Im just gonna try a little 2 cents as well.

Today on these bikes, we don't have the 30lb flywheels like we used to. Back in his day we let out the clutch, never did anything with it until the score keeper was ready to punch my scorecard. Plus, the bikes also only weigh about 150 lbs instead of his Ossa that was nearly 220lbs...

Today we slip the clutch, and can ride all day in even 3rd gear going as slow as most do in 1st, but then we twist the throttle and let out the clutch like a Pro Stock dragster to get up and over things. And amature class riders nowdays, go over things we didn't get over as experts and masters did when Mick was in his prime or even when I was in my prime in the early 80s.

The technique of turning is kind of right what you say that Mick says, but done with clutch more, what he's saying is how you do when you're compensating for failing to have your weight in the right place.

that is all I mean... The way you say mick is saying it, as if it is "what you do is..." instead of what it really is, a bailout type of maneuver you can do. If you are tight in the section up against the tape, trying to make a corner, that is really tight, weight is too far inside, Ive been there too many times in the last 40 years, Ill tell you, that you cannot gas it and recover, you GOT to get your weight right.

I hope you don't feel like I stepping on world champion toes, or yours either, I just want to make sure beginners don't begin to think that gas and go (and vice versa) is a technique they can do instead of doing it right.
Sting32 is offline   Reply With Quote