View Single Post
Old 10-19-2012, 12:25 PM   #90
kimangao OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 648
It is a bit of a hangover that wakes me up next morning. Farzin (iranian) and his wife Simona (italian) have fuddled me properly. The kids (iralian or itanian) insist on a "cool" picture before setting off. And I swear I'll never say a bad word about motor homes anymore.

The Itanians have left the place and I'm still there admiring that incredible coastline.

... and I finally get the picture I've wanted 12hours ago

The Route des Crêtes winds on top of that red cliff for decent 15kms

Natural harbour design.

I turn inland to one of the most spectacular places in France. Les Gorges du Verdon, the Verdon Canyon. On the way I pass several of these mobile-home parkings. I'm happy that it is still March and all of them remain in their position. Once they're unleashed proper riding becomes a nightmare in some spots. I'm not sure if I can keep the promise I made to Farzin and Simona ... oh, I'm sure I can't

Closer to the canyon the villages turn out to be as beautiful as you would expect them to be in a holiday catalogue.

There are two roads follwing the canyon. Whichever I take: This is one of the places where I can't decide: Ride or take a pic. Most time I do both enjoying a good road twice.

I've made this one a bit larger. And yes, there's a bike in the picture.

The Verdon leaves the canyon into magnificent Lac de Sainte Croix. On the shore of the lake a friend of a friend runs a little restaurant, Bernhard. He's just arrived with his ancient 2CV from picking fresh herbs in the nearby forest.

Bernhards restaurant is so small that the kitchen offers space for max 2 persons to work. And for his guests, well there's no space at all inside. So everyone sits outside on a little terrace admiring the splendid scenery.

Almost ready to be eaten ... Bernhard has been working as a cook in a pub for ages. A few years ago he realised his dream of his own restaurant at Lac de Sainte Croix. I want to know if he has ever regretted. he replies with a big grin: "Man, don't you see? I live in paradise!" How many can claim that?

Ok, lunchtime!

Not to be misunderstood: This is not a RRR (RestaurantRideReport) But somehow I have to waste my time waiting for the other bike. Can't take long ....

kimangao screwed with this post 10-19-2012 at 03:42 PM
kimangao is offline   Reply With Quote