View Single Post
Old 10-20-2012, 03:35 PM   #24
PFFOG OP
Richard Alps-aholic

Oddometer: 2,081
Sunday 9/9

Today was a free day meaning we did not have to ride as we would be returning to the same hotel tonight. But there was not much chance of that happening. The wife did decide to stay in town, so today I would be riding solo. Today’s route would include the highest paved pass in the Alps, the Col de la Bonette, and going the other way two very nice Gorges.

The morning view from our room .

AL, the van driver was riding today on the spare bike, and I had ridden with him since 2007 so we took off together. When we got to the bottom of Vars, we ran into Rob and another rider from the tour, so we grouped up for part of the day.

A view from the top of Col de Vars

Even though it was Sunday, traffic was very light, there were, however quite a few Motorcycles on the road today. After heading up and over Col de Vars, we stopped for a cappuccino before heading up Bonette.

Not sure what this is, but they will never have to replace the roof.

Being the highest paved pass, and with the weather clearing nicely, the views were gorgeous so we lingered amongst the several other riders and took a bunch of pictures. Along the ridge near the top there are still some military bunkers probably from WW II. It must have been very lonely and cold, sitting there watching and waiting for the enemy. On the other hand without war many of these roads not exist.

Top of one of the observation bunkers is visible here, with a wonderful but lonely view .

And the bunker on the other side and its view, I assumed they are connected underneath the ridge.

How we get up here

View from the top

How we’re getting down

Remains of Camp des Fourches just down from the top of Bonette, it was built between 1896 and 1910, and like the bunkers on the other side, served as military outposts.

After descending Bonette, next up was Col de la Couilloie. a cool little narrow, gnarly road that clings to the side of the gorge, as it winds to to the top.

Village with a view

We stopped to fill up in the quaint little village of Beuil, and then headed into the Gorges. Although the Gorges offered a reverse view of the passes, they are great little roads that twist and turn first down the Gorge du Cians then back up Gorge de Daluis.

On the way back we decided to take the less traveled Col des Champs and Col d'Allos, both were very nice little road, although Allos was quite rough, but the views were wonderful.

View from the top of Col d’Allos

Man I love to see this on the GPS

And in 3-D Vision

PFFOG screwed with this post 10-21-2012 at 08:32 PM
PFFOG is offline   Reply With Quote