View Single Post
Old 10-20-2012, 06:06 PM   #682
GSF1200S
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 975
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter View Post
That's a good mod if you can pull it off. We've seen a few here, a few kits are out there that fit the DR650. Some have adapted a Buell headlight. Not bad.

If you can manage all the wiring there and find a nice home for it ... then should be good. The steel front subframe is a bit heavy and perhaps overkill for what it's doing. A rubber strap on dirt bike style headlight/shroud could work. I would go with an HID bulb
for sure. 3 times brighter than stock, cheap, reliable, weighs nothing.

You may as well ditch the stock upper and lower triple clamps as well. The Upper DR one is heavy steel. Maybe you can find something in Alu to fit?
Yeah, definitely need to worry about protecting all the wiring. I have seen mention of the buell headlight mod, but im not sure exactly how much weight it saves- you have any clue? If it saves alot compared to stock, Id do it. If it only saves a little I might as well stay stock and buy an HID kit. This is why I was looking at KTM headlights and aftermarket ones- weight. Of course, as an adv bike the light needs to actually work.

Never considered anything in the forks. I need to get it all apart and take a look, but I also need to get it back on the road! Im a huge believer in doing smart things to reduce weight. When the price gets ridiculous then I stop. I did the same with my 1200 bandit and it made a huge difference in tight twisties throwing it from side to side.
GSF1200S is offline   Reply With Quote