View Single Post
Old 10-21-2012, 06:01 AM   #2814
sanjoh OP
Purveyor of Light

Oddometer: 4,569
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzRider64 View Post
G'day John,

Have read your post where you said my lights had traces of burning on the circuit boards, possibly from cheap HID lights.

I am running a DDM 35W system on my main headlight only, probably not the best quality HID on the market, but others on this site seem to be running them with your lights with no problems.

The model 44's are connected through a PC8 fuse block with a relay and a Cyclenutz mini switch to turn the lights on and off.

How is this voltage spike occurring. Does it happen on start up, because the lights are only turned on after this bike has been running a couple of minutes or does it happen during the running cycle of the bike.

I had a chat to a mate of mine who is a auto electrician and told him my problem and he said to me that my 44's are running through a separate fuse block and relay and I should have no problems.

Both of us are scratching our heads on this one.

Worse comes to worse I will install a HID50 unit into my bike which I have had taken off my previous beast, all I have to do is change the globe to a H7 and I will see how that goes.

I wont re-install these model 44's on my bike till I get this sorted, I don't want to damage them again.

I hope you can clear this up for me.

Simon.
Hi Simon,

HID lights use AC downstream of the booster box. In some units it can be as high as 35,000 volts. The voltage can leak from connectors and/or through deterioration of the wiring insulation.

After troubleshooting an HID setup I had a few years back, I took them off the bike. Unfortunately the noise took out the OEM clock and fuel level sensor.

Some folks have had no issues, I have seen several LED lights that have been cooked by aftermarket HIDs, which is why our warranty does not cover installs with HID lights.
sanjoh is offline   Reply With Quote