View Single Post
Old 10-21-2012, 08:22 AM   #127
slide
A nation in despair

Oddometer: 21,106
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuonoBiker View Post
Awesome read and story - its been interesting to read the various responses. What I find really interesting is the number of naysayers to the GS/A.

I'm very new to the Adventure bike category, but bought it to enjoy travel over interstate, country two-lane and the fire tower roads/ forest roads which are decent to get through...It's just a great do-it-all machine. We all know that. In the hands of somebody who is very competent on the dirt, its more than capable to do some real touring of back woods roads. I've watched plenty of youtube clips of people doing things on a GS and GSA that boggle my mind. They are obviously far more talented than I am and more than I probably ever will be.

All that being said, the majority of the naysayers recommend buying a smaller, lighter bike. So my question comes down to this: Why stop there? What is the point of say a KLR size machine or even BMW F650 size bike....why not just get a dirt bike and trailer it to the trailhead and then go trail riding on a REAL dirt bike.

Aren't the naysayer's missing the point of the GSA? Some of us need to travel 6 hours in one direction just to get to a part of the state that has miles of fireroads. Sometimes we just want to ride our GSA up to the bike shop that's an hour away....because we don't feel like taking the Harley. Sometimes we like to take the wife on the back for a weekend trip on the two-lane blacktop to see the scenery and just enjoy riding a motorcyle. Are we not allowed to do all of these things? Am I just a poser on those trips? Guess I'm confused....or the Sam Adams is talking louder than it should be...

Being a naysayer and having owned several GS's, I recognize their limitations when matched with my riding skill. I have no interest now or ever in a dirt bike or a trailer or tearing a hole in the scenery in company of quads doing the same which is the role of a dedicated dirt bike.

I understand, however, that for a full exploration of trails which may have a doubtful turn of surface, I need a street legal but light bike thus I ride a BMW G-X which is 320 lbs and comfortable enough I have done 500 mile days feeling just fine afterwards.