View Single Post
Old 10-21-2012, 08:51 PM   #198
AteamNM
Wonna Be ADVrider

Oddometer: 3,388
The wet tent sucked. I was being cynical. Yea, lets see how I fare after many days of camping.

I must say that the beginning has been all I wanted. The delivery and take off from the owners was good and I made about 90 miles before dark and rain at the Virginia/West Virginia border at about 3,000 feet. I had a miserable night camping in the rain but I survived and the next day Friday was spectacular and epic. The ridge and valley riding with crazy switch backs and then small beautiful and quiet little valley towns was refreshing. The weather went to hell around Charleston and the next 3 hours riding into the tri state area of Ashland/Huntington area was Friday rush hour traffic, mega wind and rain. The KLR just tractors through. I am learning the bike and trusting it more and more. I keep forgetting that the bike may be a dirt bike but not with a ton of crap on it. I made a U turn and didn't have enough black top so I went into a small bar ditch and really got squirrely roosting out of the ditch and back on the road. I threw down some trials moves to clean it and ride out. So far the worse experience less the storm on Thursday night was the airport in Richmond, a coffee quest that ultimately I was the victor. I did have a woman in a group tell me that if I were going to ride a motorcycle across the USA I needed to practice first. I told her I had studied up on it.
AteamNM is online now   Reply With Quote