View Single Post
Old 10-23-2012, 07:45 AM   #31
kellymac530
motorcycle addict

Oddometer: 1,052
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryH View Post
The "upright" riding position is what I like about cruisers. Your entire weight is supported by the seat. Unlike a sportbike, you are not all hunched over, with your knees bent double, your neck stretched as far as it will go so you can see where you are going, and most of your upper body weight supported by your arms and shoulders. A riders backrest on a cruiser makes a huge difference and gives you a lot of back support. While I don't suspect the Savage 650 would make a good touring bike, it would work a lot better for me than any type of sport bike. Dual sport bikes like the KLR don't have an uncomfortable riding position, their main problem is the narrow, hard as a rock seat. I traded an '01 KLR650 I had bought new for another (I've had 2) new Vulcan 750 after only one year. I found the KLR to be to big and heavy to be fun off road, and the Vulcan to be much more comfortable on the road. I wound up with an XT225 for off road. It also has a comfortable layout, but again the seat is what would stop me from trying to ride long distances on it. I remember back in the late '70s/early '80s when dual sport bikes like the Honda XL500 had much better seats. Today looks are what counts, and they try to make dual sport seats look like MX seats, not thinking I guess that the seat is something you only bump into occasionally on an MX bike.

Somehow a Buick just doesn't sound like fun....
Cruiser bikes are NOT upright position. They are laid back position and for ME...it sucks. All of my weight on my butt is NOT what I want. I want to be able to support a bit of my weight at times onmy feet even if it is just for a stretch or for hitting the odd bump. I ride a G/S and an RT and the position on those is not forward on your arms, it is mostly on my butt, but also easily shifted to my legs and thighs....way better.