View Single Post
Old 10-23-2012, 08:48 PM   #523
dirty_sanchez
Dirty_Sanchez

Oddometer: 2,817
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taranis View Post
Dirty,

Gixxer service manual calls for "Thread Lock Cement Super 1360 or equivalent, P/No.: 9900032130" on brake rotor bolts. Googled it and found a reference to it being for high temp, and also Threebond and Permatex using the number. Couldn't actually confirm your nemeses doing that, but found this:

http://www.threebond.co.uk/PRODUCTS/...0/Default.aspx
1360 High Temperature Nutlock (Up to 200C) [392 in "press 1 for English"]
Medium Viscosity
Fixing and sealing of bolts, nuts and screws requiring high thermal resistance
The bikes come with a blue patch on the bolts from the factory.

What Loctite would your recommend on my rotor bolts? I'm thinking blue strength but high-temp capability.
There's no way the the bolts which hold the rotor on the hub get hotter than 300F.

The product they called for is good for near 450F, it's way stronger than you need, and the smallest container it comes in is 50ml.

The blue preapplied dried on product is not available to mere mortals like us. It's called drylock and is only applied at coatings houses for customers like GM, Honda, Suzuki, etc, etc., etc. who use millions of the same size fasteners each year. The color of the drylock product is nothing like the color of the liquids.

Blue liquids are removable, while I have no idea without looking it up the strength of a blue preapplied.

Go to your local Motion Industries, Grainger, Fastenal, Barnes, MSC, Applied Industrial Technologies, and ask for Loctite pn. 1330583. This is a 10ml bottle of one of the new primerless, higher temp (360F) red permanent threadlockers. Once again, there's no way those rotor bolts are going to get up to 360F-even under racing conditions.

Dirty