villageidiot
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,555
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaM View Post
Here's my 1977

Before:

...and after

This one was given to me as well. I'm gathering parts to restore it and have about everything I need. Now that Villageidiot has explained to just use panty hose for a filter I'll go ahead and buy an airbox. Those filter screens must be non existant, I see a lot of air boxes for sale but none have the screen or the damper tube. I guess you might have to rejet with that setup? It is VERY hard not to start case matching, big jug, cdi and all of that, but I'm just going to try to get it box stock except for the crank, I just don't trust a con rod with a brass bushing instead of a bearing. I will probably be PMing you guys if I run into problems, there is no way I'm going to endure the (very knowledgeable) kids at mopedarmy.
if you want box stock parts, call shaun at myrons mopeds. he would have the filter screen im almost certain. the pinto airbox, if i remember correctly (i dont do stock mopeds much) does not have a damper tube.

it should look like this

you see where the bump in the middle is, it comes apart there. thats where the screen goes, or the pantyhose trick goes. of course, with the panty hose it may require a jet change.

as for the connecting rod with a bushing, ive spun em up to 13k rpm without failure, but its all in how ya prep it....... if a bushing is in good shape (no slop) id just run it. also the crank bearings, if the original steyr bearings are good, stick em back on with a little green locktite (bearing mount) there is no better bearing, my NOS stash of bearings went dry in 2008 and i have never replaced more crank bearings since. but i did have enough bearings for 75 motors.

villageidiot screwed with this post 10-24-2012 at 09:19 PM
villageidiot is offline   Reply With Quote