View Single Post
Old 10-24-2012, 09:34 PM   #189
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer: 4,617
Sequoia 3-Day Ride and Campout - Part 2

Next day we rode down the pass to Springville. Wow, riding the twisties, what fun. Then low and behold it’s the Apple Festival in this little backcountry town. An entire street fair and rodeo going on, the place was packed, wall to wall people and cars. We pulled into the little market and gas stop there and found Brian, noob guy from ADVrider. He’s a riding maniac with a new F800GS. His former ride, a Multistrada. The guy can carve the corners on pavement.

Getting ready to split. We got our bbq'd Tri-tip sandwiches to go from one of the many EZup vendors and hit the road for Mountain Home.

Mountain Home State Forest is a little-known plateau up in Sequoia National Forest. You see a few locals from the valley that come up there but for the most part it’s desolate and quiet. The climb goes from Springville at about a thousand feet to well over six thousand feet. The view to the San Joaquin valley is amazing.

Giant sequoias dot the landscape and Hidden Falls is way out on the edge of the plateau and borders Golden Trout Wilderness. Not a soul there, no campers, nada. We did some boulder hopping and took in the falls.

After an hour of relaxing, a little fishing, and some lunch, the boy and cub scouts from Bakersfield showed up and they were running amok. One of them jumped into the pool Todd was fishing in, and wading with a net in the one I was fishing, so we took a ride up the mountain on the old forest service roads.

See if you can spot the camo man at the base of the giant sequoia here…

Lonestar-Bob and BigTodd out rock hopping on the Tule river…

Hidden Falls…

On the way out we stopped at Frazier Mill Campground were we got to see some old growth stumps and some new towering Sequoias. I would have liked to camp out there but we had already decided to base-camp it at the cabin and leave all our gear there. Was pretty neat to ride empty bikes.

Todd is checking something out on the bear-box for the campsite. Nice group site area for tenting. Amazing fall colors….

Brian on the huge old-growth stump in camp...

After winding our way back down the mountain we made our way back to Springville for gas and food since Mo’s was only open on Friday night. Back up the 190 to Camp Nelson to our cabin. What a place this was. Wood stove, fridge, hot water, really cool place….

Saturday night we drank and ate and talked for hours…

Sunday morning we were ready to ride at 8:30. On up to Alpine Village to the Ponderosa Inn where we had breakfast and hot coffee. At over six thousand feet it was foggy, misty and cold.

Today we were going down to Johnsondale and ride the trails to Portuguese Pass. Once we got out about 10 miles we kept running into road closed signs so we headed back down to Johnsondale and took the hiway to Kernville. I think Craig (Craig Black had tracks from a previous trip up there) had a go-round on his tracks but I didn’t want to take a chance of getting out 25 miles and realize we had to turn around, or take nasty jeep trails to get out.

We gassed up in Kernville and then went back up the mountain out of Wofford Heights and caught the Rancheria Road trail. Another neat dirt route south, about 50 miles on logging road to Bakersfield.
Here we are on Rancheria Road west of Lake Isabella….

We ended up with just beautiful weather, sunny and mild, no rain. Very enjoyable trek with a terrific group of very capable riders. Like I mentioned, no mishaps, no issues.
And that’s pretty much it. We hit Bakersfield for gas and rocked the freeway to LA, home by 6pm, 625 miles in three days.

Thanks for coming along you guys, I had one of the best trips ever.
browneye is offline   Reply With Quote