View Single Post
Old 10-26-2012, 03:57 AM   #15
troy safari carpente
Team f5ool

Oddometer: 18,723
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodovitch View Post
On the other hand I wouldn't mind an extended bed Overdrive Toyota to carry my bike to races. Yeah, I know, dream on...
Not much room in the bed for a bike back there Brodo'... what with 400 odd liter fuel cells, three spare wheels, all the tube chassis/roll cage/barwork, rear suspension towers and the heaps of stuff like sand ramps and jacking equipment etc. jammed in everywhere else... It'd have to be a pretty good extension of the bed/tailgate you'd need!

And the sedan type vehicles (Mitsu's, MINI's, X3 BMW's etc.) don't have it much better... I remember looking inside the X3 CC's once a few years back thinking; "Hmmmm... space is a bit of a premium...?" And I don't think the Mini has improved things much.

At least the pick-ups like the Hilux and Isuzu D-Max (dual cabs) have a little extra cabin space in the back two doors... plus the bed area, which is possibly one of the reasons these have become popular/competitive choice of vehicle once again.

I remember a few years back, some Eurosport footage from one of the bivouac departures; one of the VW team co-drivers (Michel Perin... I think it may have been) was handed just prior to departure, a small plastic box (what looked like a lunch/box - possibly with food/provisions for the day in it?) by one of their Red Bull pit/team members. Sitting in the tight confines of the Race Toureg, he tried to glance over his left shoulder... rally intercom, 2 x helmets and two rally jackets in a netting bag already occupied that space... He then peered between his feet... then back at the team member, and raised both his eyebrows with a half whimsical; "ummm...well... where do you expect me to put THAT...?!" kind of expression on his face.

On nearly all Dakar competition vehicles (be they Moto's, Quads or Auto's) space can often times be at a premium, when you consider all of the mandatory, safety, recovery, spares, navigation and personal gear/rations etc. that have to be fitted in somewhere.

When you order your Overdrive pick-up Brodovitch, ask them to throw in a tow hitch mounted bike rack for the rear bumper!

... look's like carpente found it..."

troy safari carpente screwed with this post 10-26-2012 at 11:20 AM
troy safari carpente is offline   Reply With Quote