View Single Post
Old 10-26-2012, 07:12 AM   #6
Shawnee Bill
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,895
Quote:
Originally Posted by OKlr View Post
bill, what gps are you using to load the routes too?
I have a Garmin 2610. Antique and old maps but a very good GPS.
I did convert the portion I rode from a 'Track' to a 'Route'. Just was easier to do at the moment, I also rode it backwards, if I would have thought ahead more I could have reversed it in Basecamp before sending it to the GPS. Something for riders to think about before taking off. If I let the GPS recalculate while partway through the ride it would throw away what it considered behind me which was actually in front of me because I was going against the grain (normal in my life ) so sometimes the displayed route didn't lay exactly on the road. But it was still easy to reload the original from GPS memory. Might be an issue in eastern Oklahoma though.

BTW I rode the 800GS, the KLR would be great for this ride. Or any bike/rider that is not too uncomfortable on gravel. My son would have been perfectly happy on the Goldwing except for one 1/4 mile downhill A lot of the roads would start from a main highway as pavement and then go to gravel for a few miles and then back to pavement as it got closer to the next main highway. I looked at those county road maps that Abbotson posted and they seemed to be pretty accurate as to road surface.

Just for convenience I'll post that link here. It would be pretty easy to print out the maps you wanted to ride, highlight the route on paper and ride without a GPS.

http://www.okladot.state.ok.us/hqdiv...unty/index.htm

GL1800
FZ-1 For sale
Shawnee Bill is offline   Reply With Quote