View Single Post
Old 10-27-2012, 04:24 AM   #6151
LukasM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,324
I have heard that the ride-by-wire system is coming to the 690 Enduro models in 2013, can anybody confirm or deny that?

Here is some more info for those that have no idea what I'm talking about:

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukasM View Post
No it's not. The 690 models (except the 2012 Duke) until now have a mechanical throttle cable that can be overriden by the EPT computer through a solenoid that controls the throttle butterfly. It sits on the right of the butterfly shaft in this picture:

The 2012 Duke 690 uses a true fly-by-wire system, or ride-by-wire as KTM calls it, so there is no mechanical connection there any more.

This is what the throttle grip looks like, it has a spring inside to mimick the feel of a regular throttle pull:

This system does of course offer some benefits because the computer can decide when it's a good idea to give it some more gas - e.g. when starting the bike etc - but at the same time it complicates things further.

IMO - great on a 690 Duke that I ride around town, not so great on a 690 Enduro (R) that I'm taking out into the boonies.