View Single Post
Old 10-27-2012, 06:36 PM   #70712
smilin jack
Grandpa Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,225
DR backfired and died

Coming home from work the DR backfired, sputtered and died. I coasted to a wide spot in the ditch and checked it over for anything obvious.

Fuel tank 1/4 full (still had about 30 miles to reserve). Added 1 gallon from extra fuel can.

Put stock petcock on Prime.

Bike fired up, so saddled up and waited for a gap in the busy traffic.

Hit first gear, turned the handlebars for my "line" up the dirt bank to the 4 lane highway and the bike died.

It wouldn't start again... the headlight and neutral light were dim. They got bright when the kill switch was pressed but still wouldn't start. The wires coming out of the stitches (kill, starter, front brake light) were getting warm. Seems there's a small short somewhere.

Edit: Called fellow advrider, fbritt5 for a rescue ride home. Glad it wasn't raining. Thanks for the rescue ride Frank.

Spent Saturday rebuilding the short switch harness for the kill switch etc.

Opened up the sheath and found factory splices with burned tape. Got out the soldering iron and applied solder to the crimped connections. Taped the two splices and put on the sheath with another over the top of that.

Put the short harness back on the bike and it fired up for a while then it died again. Same thing, headlight weak but gets bright when the kill switch is pressed and the harness gets warm.

Guess there's more wire digging to find the problem. Any ideas of where to look? I did put on a new front knobby (Shinko 244) a few days ago before the engine trouble started.

Dave

smilin jack screwed with this post 10-27-2012 at 09:20 PM
smilin jack is offline   Reply With Quote