View Single Post
Old 10-28-2012, 02:57 PM   #16
Hughlysses
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,262
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmac57 View Post

OMG. That might answer the question for me right there.
Remember that most of that section was generated before EBR came out with the rotor with the cooling jet. People were trying anything they could think of to eliminate the issue.

The problem only really applies to the 2009 & 2010 models that have a higher output stator than the 2008 models. The Mothership's "fix" was a dealer bulletin that installed a supplemental wiring harness and ECM re-flash that cuts out one phase of the 3-phase stator at low speed. This may have helped slightly but the problem still occurred. Some people swapped to the lower output 2008 stator and rotor which seemed to fix it; others tried aftermarket voltage regulators. All that experimentation and frustration with Harley Davidson for not coming up with a solid fix led to a LOT of posts on the subject.

If I was considering buying one (again, I owned a 2009 1125CR for about a year), I'd just factor in the cost of the rewound stator and EBR rotor to the equation and make my choice of which bike to buy based on that. It's even possible the bike's already had the mod, so it wouldn't hurt to ask.