View Single Post
Old 10-28-2012, 02:52 PM   #12
cathulu OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 179
OK, Brian hasn't popped in to update us on his crash, lets just say he was making a run to the Ferry, he thought he was past the sand, and then got caught in a sandy bit and launched. His dignity was preserved and the only damage appeared to be his left mirror. I am sure there is more to it for Brian to embellish if he wants.

Monday Sept 10.

So last night it was windy like heck and rained hard. Ripped my tarp off my tent and flapped annoyingly in the night but otherwise no damage. So I put it back up to dry. Brian left his helmet on top of his tent so he had a soggy noggin through the day.

In the morning we woke up and everthing was damp. It was cold. But the sky was clear and it was beautiful watching the sun slowly rise high enough to bring sunshine to our campsite.

The abandoned log house in the background. Sun is nearly on us.

So we rode out on the gravel of Farwell Canyon Road. Where there was active grading the gravel was loose and muddy - but without grading it would have been probably muddier. Not much fun to ride to be honest - a big open gravel road, a muddy crapper. I am back on the heated vest. Brian because he has aggressive knobbies is causing a shit storm all over his back even with a fender

We dump out onto Highway 20 (Chilcotin-Bella Coola Highway) and ride north east to Williams Lake. This was probably the longest stretch in terms of gas to get to Williams Lake. Brian gave me a spot of gas along the way as he carried a spare container. Nevertheless I was stressed and worried about running out of gas along the way. I need to carry a litre or so of gas next time. The KLRs of Vito and Vlad did not seem to suffer from gas anxiety, they have a bit more capacity.

So after Williams Lake we took the highway further east to 150 Mile House where I topped-up again and then got on the gravel. It started to spit a bit during the day, we had sun, cloud, gray, etc but we avoided getting really rained on. We were back on the muddy stuff. Because my tires were worn, I really suffered here and felt at any moment I would go down. I had trouble keeping up and dropped further and further behind. Lots of little slips of the front wheel.

Some spots the gravel was drier and not too bad. Pretty countryside, harvesting for winter feed.

Finally we get to a decent section, a nice gravel road that was tight, twisty, flowing and not muddy. We all had fun as it was one of the few times where we could all ride close together. This was the entrance if I recall correctly. Because it was a bit damp I didn't bring my camera out to play much, nor did anyone else.

We also had a bit of road to ride...

And more gravel...

We are nearby our campsite and walk in a km or so to see Canim falls. Because we are at the end of the summer after a long dry spell there is not a lot of water. You can see areas of the falls that are dry, like on the left side.

there is a nice shot of the falls here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Canim_falls.jpg

So we get to our campsite at the West Side of Mahood Lake in Wells Gray Park. It was really muddy on gravel to get here. Brian with all his worldly possessions:

I am always dicking around with my tarp, getting used to it...

Vito setting up his tent - aka the palace. Brian considered setting his up inside it.

The days effort:

cathulu screwed with this post 10-28-2012 at 03:16 PM
cathulu is offline   Reply With Quote