View Single Post
Old 10-30-2012, 09:02 AM   #1
Pugsley/Hobbfather OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 410
Kickstarter, starting here:

Watch this space:

I am starting a Kickstarter campaign to finalise a dream.

I have the bike.
I have the fab shop.
I have the pieces.
I have the design.
I have the frame started.
I have the time...

Fourteen years ago, I developed the concept of building a sidecar for some future motorcycle, preferably a Britbike of some description, a Triumph, BSA, Norton or even an old Honda 750 or Harley Sportster capable of pulling approximately 300lbs of combined sidecar and equipment.
The sidecar would be shaped like an anvil, and include a small portable forge, anvil, vise, 2 hammers, a few sets of tongs, fuel, bar stock and water necessary to do at least basic forging.
The original concept was to include Polaroid pictures (the technology of the time) to document the place of creation for some work of art, whether it be a knife, series of smaller items, or a wall-mounted piece inspired by the vistas of mountain overlooks throughout Vermont.
Each piece was to include the pictures, descriptions, time and date of the creation, and techniques used to finish back at the shop. Some pieces could be designed, created and finished on site.
Over the years, this has evolved only slightly, mostly as the technology of documentation can now include a small computer, digital camera, and online ‘blogging’ about the process of creation. What remains is the basic design, fourteen more years of experience as a blacksmith, and the desire to create artwork normally requiring a large shop and a lot of heavy equipment while traveling and seeking inspiration where I find it.
Objects collected along the road will be incorporated into the designs and materials of the pieces themselves, and the locations, condition and circumstances of their discovery will also be part of the story.
Materials required will be sourced locally whenever possible, salvaged, scavenged, or bartered for, they should reflect the locale, and be part of the story as well. Beeswax candles from local apiaries, local wood for handle materials, leather shops, antique shops, junkyards, wineries, farms, butchers...these will be my suppliers.

What I need is the money, so I still have the time. I'll update when the Kickstarter launches, and progress along the way.
I think 3 months on the road in the spring with my dog will be a great adventure, and hopefully will meet some inmates along the way. No need to kick in, maybe just a beer or a couch here and there.
Pugsley/Hobbfather is online now   Reply With Quote