View Single Post
Old 10-30-2012, 11:15 AM   #3786
Grinnin
Forever N00b

Oddometer: 2,350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aprilia View Post
While the clutch is pretty robust on the KLR it can get glazed/burned if abused too much. If your level adjustment suddenly changes while slipping its time to back off...
My throttle/speed control issues are fortunately not the clutch. It's the trail. And the carb. And the operator. The spruce/fir duff changes texture constantly and the bike floats on parts then sinks into a sponge that takes a good bit of power. And it's all covered in needles and leaves so it's impossible to tell what kind of power is needed just ahead.

At the same time the exhaust was popping a bit on closed throttle (on the road) so I richened up the idle mixture.

EDIT: I'm not sure why the spruce/fir duff is more difficult for me than a rocky, murky water crossing. For water I can usually maintain the same moderate pace no matter what I hit below the surface. For duff, bogging in a hole and powering out then flings me forward. Both situations are about unseen obstacles. The 16t countersprocket isn't a problem on rocks. It's great on the highway. I'll see how the trail firms up in the next month or so.

Grinnin screwed with this post 10-30-2012 at 12:21 PM
Grinnin is offline   Reply With Quote