View Single Post
Old 10-30-2012, 10:43 PM   #63
X1Glider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 433
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hikertrash View Post
Nolan makes one (X-lite X-551), too but it's only sold overseas AFAIK.
True. I called the office in Illinois about 2 onths ago and was told none of the distributors picked it up. So not sold in North America. I intended to test fit it when I passed through on a trip. The internal sunscreen was the deciding factor between the XD-4 and X-551. I still bought neither.

So the Bilt is the only one on the NA market with an internal sun visor. I bought a silver one today. Never had a DS helmet before. I figured 100 bucks isn't too bad in case I don't like it. I'm hoping it will be less noisy than a true dirt helmet.

It seems to fit pretty well. I normally wear a large in any helmet but the Bilt came in at Medium.

Only beefs I can see is the peak is non adjustable and the outer shield doesn't have a tab for lifting and lowering, just a contoured shelf around the perimeter. So you have to touch the shield to lower it. It does have positive feeling closing against the seal. But I'm not certain that the inside of the visor actually makes contact with the seal abover the brow. So, it may let in water. I'll try it at the next rainy day. Fogs up sitting still with the shield down and it was 80 degrees today.

It's probably worth 100 bucks. Cheap enough to try out.