View Single Post
Old 11-01-2012, 12:45 PM   #71
Maineroot OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by klatelm View Post
With all due respect, why would n't you build up a 530 or an ex Dakaro bike? Cutting that bike up is kinda like taking a sawzall to a 1957 Oval window Volkswagen and making into a baja bug. Don't get me wrong I'm American and I like hot rodding shit. Maybe I'm jealous of such a beautiful bike.
I'm not cutting it up, just adding to it! Most of the mods have to do with ERGONOMICS ( I'm 6'3"). (Pegs, Bars, Seat).

Springing the bikes suspension is the 1st thing that needed to be done in order for it to work properly (I'm 210#). An undersprung bike rides like crap.

I already own a Stabilizer- so just needed to mount the tower (that's the only piece that was cut.) Running a bike in Baja without a stabilizer is like wrestling a bull by the horns for 1000+ miles. I did it last year, and wont do it again.

What else... the CARB. The BST stocker made the bike run like a moped. The FCR41 Carb makes it a real gravel scratcher.

I rode a 530 last year and got passed like I was standing still by guys on 640's on most of the course. The 530 was a GREAT bike, but the 640 has the fuel capacity and engine oomph to take my sorry rear end to the finish in comfort and reliability.
#34 MX1K
TEAM GREENWOOD: Kali Protectives, Hammer Nutrition
Maine Root Handcrafted Beverages, Darco Boot, ATOMIC MOTO,
Klim Riding Gear, Flexx Bars, Seat Concepts Seats, CJ DESIGNS PEGS, FORMA
BOOTS, Tj's Cycle, Austin TX
Maineroot is offline   Reply With Quote