View Single Post
Old 11-02-2012, 04:27 PM   #5126
Wallrat
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 490
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed@Ford View Post
The one I use on my XR400 with a big ass gas tank on there is 115 mm long and it is pinched down on the end and has a M12 hex which I have shortened some...it could be shortened even more to get to 113....then use a m12 box end, or better yet, one of the ratchet box end wrenches. This one was in the XR400 tool kit...and is the same one used in the pre-1996 XR250R's...i shortened it because getting back in there with that big tank is a PITA...the one wallrat shows is almost a PITA because with those holes and the crossbar it'shard to get 90 degrees of rotation every time....and the plug has LOTS of threads

I start my plug with about 3" of 5/16" ID hose over the end as an extension on the plug

1/2 turn is all that is recommended on a new plug, and 1/4 turn on a used plug. Mine is cake even with a Clarke 3.8 tank on the bike. I put the plug in the tool, slide it in diagonally, turn by hand until it stops, insert the little rod thing, and rotate 1/4 turn. Your tank must ride lower than mine cuz its honestly one of the easier plugs I've dealt with on a bike.
12 Kuberg Start
13 Kuberg Cross
Wallrat is online now   Reply With Quote