View Single Post
Old 11-02-2012, 08:15 PM   #10
arkansawyer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,869
My vulcan 750 story is different than the rest. I bought mine as a total. The frame was straight and the engine ran. The bike looked like someone spent about an hour with an angle grinder and a hammer on it. Tach/speedo/headlight were toast. Tank was dented pretty bad. Both exhausts were ground up.
I put an SL125 speedo on. DT175 headlight. Three different krylon paint jobs and lots of poorly applied bondo.
Mine was an '86. I put a touch over 80,000 miles on it. One of the auto cam chain tensioners failed. The chrome plug over the right angle drive pushed out. I put plumber's strap over it after. It ate batteries and tail light bulbs, I think due to vibration. RIde bitch sometime and feel how bad it buzzes back there. No other troubles.
My boss made me park it around back. My coworkers called it the vulgar 750 because it was obscenely ugly.
I never got used to the footpeg location. I wished Kaw would have put this drivetrain in a standard style bike.
Sometimes I miss the vulgar. Park it anywhere and not worry about it. Take it off the side of the road to camp and not worry about scratching it up.
I sold it for $200 more than I paid for it after all of that.